Latest News

Ankal Issa Michuzi apata bosi mpya bwawa la maini (Liverpool)


Roy Hodgson has made holding on to Steven Gerrard and Fernando his first priority as Liverpool manager.
The 62-year-old was confirmed as Rafa Benitez's successor at Anfield today and he will hold talks with captain Gerrard and Torres in the next 36 hours in an attempt to set out his vision for the club.
Happy man: Roy Hodgson is unveiled as the new Liverpool manager
Happy man: Roy Hodgson is unveiled as the new Liverpool manager
Jose Mourinho has made signing Gerrard a priority for Real Madrid, with reports in Spain today claiming their attempts to sign him had been stepped up.
New Barcelona president Sandro Rosell, officially installed today, wants to take Torres to the Nou Camp after the World Cup, while Chelsea are also interested in the Spain international.
But Hodgson said: 'I don't think there's anybody here at the club who would welcome losing them.
Roy Hodgson Fernando Torres of Liverpool is congratulated by team mate Steven Gerrard
Please stay: Hodgson (far left) will hold talks with Liverpool star performers Torres and Gerrard (far right)
'Certainly the fans wouldn't welcome losing them and I'm sure will do everything we can to make certain they stay with us.
'I'll be trying to persuade them that this is the place to be. I'll ask them to give me a chance to work with you and give us a chance to improve on last season.
'It would be foolish to give guarantees that it's going to happen because I can't speak for the players themselves, but I'll be doing my best to keep them.
Entrance: Roy Hodgson emerges for the cameras at Anfield
Entrance: Roy Hodgson emerges for the cameras at Anfield
'There are a couple of meetings this afternoon with senior players, in particular Steven (Gerrard) and Jamie (Carragher), and I'll contact the rest by telephone.
'I will make certain that before the end of the week I have had a conversation with all of the players to tell them I'm here and I am looking forward to welcoming them back when they come.'
Hodgson will be encouraged by Gerrard welcoming his appointment, but Madrid still believe they can tempt the England midfielder to the Bernabeu.
Raring to go: Hodgson poses with the famous shirt
Raring to go: Hodgson poses with the famous shirt
'The club have made a good appointment in Roy Hodgson,' said Gerrard. 'I believe he is the right man for Liverpool.'
Hosgson signed a three-year contract to become Liverpool boss today after impressing in charge of Fulham, who he led to the Europa League final last season.
The former Inter Milan boss admitted it had been difficult to leave the west London club, but said of his new job: 'I'm extremely proud.
Fernando Torres in action for Spain
International superstar: Torres in action for Spain against Chile at the World Cup finals in South Africa
'The club's tradition in terms of its football and its managers is really second to none and it was an opportunity which was absolutely impossible to turn down.
'I don't think there are many jobs that would have tempted me away from Fulham, to be perfectly honest.
'I had such a good relationship with the chairman and the chief executive, the players were magnificent to work with and everything was as good as it gets, but on the other hand when there was a chance that Liverpool wanted me, and they asked to speak to me, I asked the chairman for permission.
Steven Gerrard (left)
Back home: Gerrard (left) turns out for England during the last-16 defeat by Germany
'He wasn't too happy to give it but fortunately for me this job came about and I am really happy to be here.
'It'd be foolish to compare but it'd also be dishonest to say anything other than it's going to be a highlight of my career. I have worked long and hard to reach the level I have reached.'
He has now set his sights on reaching the Champions League, adding: 'This is a very big club, a club with enormous tradition and when the club is sold it will get stronger rather than weaker.
'My priority is to try to get the team doing better than last season and get them back into the Champions League spots.'
Tags:

About author

Curabitur at est vel odio aliquam fermentum in vel tortor. Aliquam eget laoreet metus. Quisque auctor dolor fermentum nisi imperdiet vel placerat purus convallis.

0 comments

Leave a Reply